Sunday, November 23, 2014

First Scrolls

I think it has been enough time since I handed in these blanks that I can post them now. These were some of my first endeavors into making scrolls, they are all based on period manuscripts, either found in my Catherine of Cleaves book or online museum sites with digitized images. I put the information on the back of the scrolls, but didn't always write it down for myself to keep afterwards, oops.
I hope you enjoy them!!
Illuminated 'A' and one of my first attempts at whitework.


Intricate border with a deer. I think the one it's based off of had something else at the bottom and a slightly different color scheme.

I remember this one enough to know that it's from The Hours of Jeanne d'Evreux. I really liked working with the grey-scale shading on this one. 

This was my first foray into grotesques. It was also pretty fun. It was also before I knew that I should just put in whatever beginning letter I wanted and they would work with it.

This was my next attempt at whitework. 
And some more whitework and bar and ivy stuff. I liked the idea of a place for the Royalty to sign, hence the thing on the bottom right. In period manuscripts there was no one really doing any signing, so there was nothing to base this off of, but I thought it was cool, so I tried to make it look the part. 
And last, but not least, I remember this as an Hours of Catherine of Cleaves one absolutely. I love how the clouds (or pie crust haha) are the paper peeling back and revealing the sky and the little demons are fighting over the little gold orbs. I won the White Hart A&S tourney with this one 2 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment